Sunday, February 14, 2010

As a child I was always into sports ranging from basketball to skating. I loved to remain active everyday doing one thing or the other. But I had one thing going against me the whole time. I was born with transposition of the arteries, so basically everything in my chest was backwards, I was blue and not breathing well. God spared my life on the first day of my life when I was so close to losing the life I now have before I even had a chance to start it. I had another open heart surgery as a baby and after that i became another normal kid running around playing with my little basketball hoop and carrying my "boom ball" everywhere I went. That's what I called it, and I think those where my first words actually I'm not 100% sure on that but that's the story.

From an early age I became a sports addict, from first grade up to 8th grade I spent pretty much every day playing basketball for an hour or so whatever the weather was, even in snow. I looked up to my big brothers, Jeremy was the star athlete in high school and I remember wanting to be like him, good at what I did, hard working, and passionate about it. My other brother Trevor was always my best friend growing up, he wasn't the athletic one, he was the artistic one, the funny one, and the one that was always fun to hang out with. I acquired attributes from both of them that make up who I am today. When it came time to start high school I was so excited to play basketball at the high school level and do the best I could.


But just when everything seemed to be going good I hit a huge bump in the road, my pulmonary artery hadn't been growing with my body resulting in me loosing my energy and becoming light headed playing the sports that I used to play nonstop for hours. The doctors tried to fix it with a stint but it didn't hold. This meant they had to do an open heart surgery to replace the valve. I couldn't play basketball, I couldn't even participate as much in P.E. anymore. My plane crashed, all my dreams and hopes vanished before my eyes. I was now starring down A long rough road, I felt like everything had just been ripped away from me.



When I got back to school it was February and when I was strong enough I was able to play the last three or four basketball games with the freshman team. I remember going out and drilling a three point shot my first time back in a game, that was definitely a turning point where I realized I made it through and I was back. Over the summers I played on the schools tournament team but after my freshmen year my endurance was never good enough to make the cut. Track became my main focus in sports throwing shot put and discuss, that's when I really got into lifting weights and training.
My brother Jeremy who threw in college and made it to nationals his last two years was assistant coaching and he pushed me as hard as he could but always making sure I wasn't pushing to hard after what I had just gone through earlier in the year. That's when I became a gym rat, I was always trying to get stronger, faster, and better myself. I remember me and Jeremy used to stay late after practice and work out a little longer then the rest of the team, the coaches allowed it because they had coached him and all knew him which was really cool. He taught me a lot when it came to lifting and I think he has a lot to do with the drive that I have today.
My sophomore through senior years I took weights class as well as went to the reservation gym every day for an extra work out, some basketball and swimming. I remember waking up in the morning, going to school then right after school getting something to eat and going straight to the gym for 2 to sometimes 5 hours. I would go play basketball, work out, swim, then sit in the Jacuzzi and sauna. I was at the gym probably every day. That was my life, always staying active and working as hard as I could to make up for what I lost when I had my surgery and to make sure I stay as healthy as I could.
After high school I enrolled in the ISSA and began my journey to where I am today. I was at the gym every day working my tail off as well as keeping plenty busy with school. In March 2009 I moved to Boise ID where I started going to Golds Gym. I was like a kid in a candy store the first time I went. Finally here I am certified continuing the next leg of my journey as I work to establish my business and help people move forward in life as I have done over the coarse of the years.
I know that God has taken me through the trials I have been through to give me this story to tell and hopefully inspire someone to start living a healthier lifestyle. All because I took a negative and turned it into a positive. I got knocked down hard, but I stood back up, brushed off my shoulders and through it I gained a new passion, Fitness. It's something I really enjoy, it's something that has kept me going at times when I had my back against the wall, it's built my self confidence and constantly keeps building it. My hope is that I can inspire, help, guide, push, lead, and establish a healthy lifestyle in any individual who comes across my path searching for some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment